Now that the Siebel 17 installation is complete, we can start the logical configuration and deployment process. It’s at this point you’ll want to apply any Patch Sets or whatever – just remember to shutdown the containers for the AI and Enterprise (via the applicationcontainer\bin\shutdown.bat script) and stop the Gateway service.
Before starting with the logical deployment, quickly check the regional settings on your host, if you’re running Windows. This must be set to “English (United States)” or the deployment process will fail. Oracle are fixing this under bug 27348563.
The Siebel Management Console is where all the activities take place. Think of this as an abstraction over the old configuration batch files, the shortcuts for which used to be installed in your start menu. There’s an order to the deployment tasks, so let’s go through them one by one.
Deploy the Enterprise
- First up, create a Siebel Fileshare folder somewhere on the host. I used “D:\Siebel\siebel_fs”
- Start the deployment process by navigating to the Profiles > Enterprise tab on the left side of the Siebel Management Console (hereafter referred to as SMC)
- Clone the sample profile and give it a name, for example “siebel_enterprise_profile”. The clone button is the one with two squares overlapping
- On the first tab, set the primary file system to the absolute path of the fileshare folder that you created. For example, “D:\Siebel\siebel_fs”. Enter the SADMIN username and password in the authentication section
- On the next tab, enter your database platform details. See an example from my Oracle Database Server below:
- On the next tab, select the “Gateway” authentication profile that you created when first logging in to the SMC
- On the last tab, you can leave the encryption type field unchanged
- Now submit the profile
- Now click the Deployment tab on the left of the SMC, and click the “+” button to create a new deployment action. Click the “Enterprise” item
- Select your Enterprise profile, give it a name, and select the “Deploy” radio button before submitting the activity
- After a great deal of whirring and clunking, your new Enterprise will be deployed into the ZooKeeper keystore and made available within the Gateway. You’ll also see a file system structure in place, a Gateway service and an ODBC datasource
Deploy the Siebel Server
Deployment of the Siebel Server is more of the same.
- Start the deployment process by navigating to the Profiles > Siebel Server tab on the left side of the SMC
- Clone the sample profile and give yours a name. For example, “siebel_server_profile”
- Enter the SADMIN username and password and the GUESTCST username and password, as you setup in your database
- Pick which Component Groups you want to enable and leave the port numbers as is
- On the last tab, leave everything as is. You’re all set to submit the profile
- Now click the Deployment tab on the left of the SMC, and click the “+” button to create a new deployment action. Click the “Siebel Server” item
- Select your Siebel Server profile, and enter your FQDN and HTTS port number. For example, “SIEB17.siebel-tech.com:9021”
- Give your Siebel Server a name, pick your languages and you’re ready to submit your Siebel Server deployment
- With a bit of luck, you’ll find a Siebel Server Services awaiting you!
Deploy the Application Interface
There’s a bit more to do to deploy the Application Interface, the replacement for the Siebel Web Engine.
- Start the deployment process by navigating to the Profiles > Application Interface tab on the left side of the SMC
- Clone the sample profile and give yours a name. For example, “ucm_appinterface_profile”
- You don’t need to worry much about what’s here, but you’ll want to specify the GUESTCST password as you defined it during the database setup
- Pick your object manager and specify your REST response base URL. For example, “https://SIEB17.siebel-tech.com:9011/siebel/v1.0/”
- On the second tab, give the application a name, for example “ucm” and choose the object manager. I’ve gone for “ucmobjmgr_enu”. Update the anonymous GUESTCST user password as before
- The third and forth tabs can remain unchanged. Simply submit your profile
- Now click the Deployment tab on the left of the SMC, and click the “+” button to create a new deployment action. Click the “Application Interface” item
- Specify the FQDN and HTTPS port number again. For example, “SIEB17.siebel-tech.com:9021”
- Select your profile and give the new AI a name and description before submitting the deployment
- You should see green lights all around!
You can now access your Siebel 17 user interface using your host plus the name of your AI profile. For example, “https://sieb17.siebel-tech.com:9011/siebel/app/ucm/enu”